Once your have completed your studies with the NMMU, we’ll make sure you leave with something to show for all your hard work.
Every student receives an official academic transcript of registered courses taken during the semester. Below is and explanation of the South African Higher Education system and grade equivalent.
NMMU is a public university created by the Higher Education Act, 1997 (Act 101 of 1997) in terms of sections 23(1) and 24 respectively.
Academic CalendarNMMU follows a semester based system.
- First semester: February to June
- Second semester: July to November
- Undergraduate programs of three years duration consist of a minimum of 360 credits.
- One academic year consists of a minimum of 120 credits.
- A credit is a unit (10 notional hours of learning) of student academic input required towards being awarded an academic module that consists of a number of credits.
A notional hour of learning is defined in terms of the time an average student would need to master work. A set of notional learning hours represents the student academic input (expressed in time) required to master the specified learning outcomes of an academic module and includes preparation for lectures; attending lectures; preparing for assessments; performing assessments (doing assignments: writing tests and exams); but excludes travel time.International students are required to register as full-timed students. The number of NMMU credits for full-timed studies per semester is 40-60 NMMU credits.
- 1 USA credit is equivalent to 4 NMMU credits
- 1 ECTS credit is equivalent to 2 NMMU credits
Transfer of Credits
Module credit should be read in conjunction with the course content when credit equivalencies are determined by non-South Africa universities.
100-1999 first level
200-2999 second level
300-3999 third level
400-4999 fourth level/honours
500-5999 fifth level/Masters
US Grading System:
|NMMU grades||Suggested US Grade|
European Grading System:
|NMMU grades||Suggested European Grade|
NMMU Explanation of Symbols: